To get started you will need the following:
- Two carpet samples (check with carpet stores...most will sell them to you for $1 each or if you're lucky, they'll just give them to you)
- Scotch Carpet Seaming Tape (Found at any home improvement store)
- Heavy Duty razor knife
1. Print or draw a shamrock. If you want the one I used, click here to download. I printed off two of those, then three at 65%, and 2 at 45%. Cut those out, then arrange the papers on the front of a carpet sample to get your desired design.2. Once you have your design figured out, turn the carpet over and arrange the papers on the back in mirror image. Then trace around the cutouts with a permanent marker.Repeat on your other carpet sample.
3. Now grab that heavy duty razor knife and start cutting along those marker lines from the backside of the carpet. (I like to place another carpet sample underneath to protect my floor). Repeat on the other carpet sample.
4. Apply the Scotch carpet seaming tape to the back of the carpet where you just cut. Take one of the opposite cutouts and place it into the corresponding spot on your carpet. (In my case, I took a green shamrock cutout and put it into the neutral carpet). Press firmly in place to attach to the seaming tape. Repeat for all cutouts and on both carpets.
5.Trim any loose pieces of carpet and those plastic carpet strings, and you are done! You should have two shamrock doormats. The possibilities on these are endless. I've also made a personalized doormat with our last name. With so many creative minds out there, I would love to see what you come up with! Come back and leave me a link to see yours!