Hi, I am Sachiko from over at Tea Rose Home! I am so excited to be here today, thank you for the opportunity! On my blog, I share my sewing, crafting, and clothes repurposing projects. Every now and then I host giveaways too. Please come visit me sometime. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this tutorial.
My little girl used to wear a t-shirt and leggings like this... but the leggings are too tight now, and the t-shirt works ok for now, but by next summer, it will be too small for her. I decided to combine them together, and make something for this fall & winter. Here are the steps that I followed...
1. I used one of her 5T t-shirts as a sample to measure how long I needed for the sleeves and made the cut.
2. The legging was wider than the opening of the sleeves of the shirt. I had to sew the side of the sleeves to match the opening of the shirt.
3. Pin the long sleeve to the t-shirt. Sew, Turn.
4. I wanted to make a hat with the leftover fabric, but my little girl strongly resisted and said "I don't want to wear my butt!"...so, I decided to accessorize the shirt.
5. Cut 3 - 1" X 7" strips. Using the largest setting for stitches sew in the middle of the strips. Pull one thread to make ruffles.
6. Sew a ruffle in the middle of the t-shirt. Repeat the process and add ruffles on the both sides. I added decorative trims between the ruffles.
We did a photo shoot in the nice sunny fall weather. She loved the shirt (she didn't have to wear her butt, so that made her even happier), the shirt was perfect. :)