Toy Story 3 just came out last week on DVD and my kids LOVE it! So I decided to make a Toy Story Christmas stocking.
My favorite part about it is the hat with the gold trim and embroidered name.
But I also really love the black sole, stitching on the top of the foot, and the spur that make up the bottom of the boot.
Overall, I just think it's a fun stocking for those little ones who are crazy about Toy Story.
Finished stocking is about 6" wide x 17" tall. Here's how it was made:
- 1/4 yd brown felt
- Toy Story Stocking Template (click to download)
- Woody Image (found here on Free Disney Clip Art)
- Dark Iron-on Transfer Paper
- Red Felt
- Black Felt
- White Felt
- 1 yd Gold Trim
- Specialty washer for the boot spur (Got mine in a pkg of 2 at Lowe's for $1.15)
- Hot Glue & Gun
- White Embroidery Thread & Needle
- Coordinating thread(s)
- 6" x 1" piece of red fabric for hang loop
1. Print off the Toy Story Stocking Template. Tape boot stocking piece A to boot stocking piece B, then cut out two pieces of the boot stocking piece.
2. Print off the Woody image from Free Disney Clip Art on to Dark Transfer Paper. I printed mine so it was 5" x 9".
Follow package directions to transfer image to one of the pieces of boot stocking.
3. Fold top edge of boot piece under 1/4" and stitch down to create the hem. Repeat on the other boot piece.
4. Mark 3 lines along the top of the foot on the front boot piece and stitch over them with a slightly contrasting thread.
5. Take the 6" x 1" piece of red fabric and press in half lengthwise, wrong sides together. Unfold and fold long raw edges in to the center of the piece to the press line and press.
Fold in half lengthwise and edgestitch together.
Loop the string and pin to the wrong side of the front boot piece just below the hem.
6. Take a small piece of felt and loop it through your specialty washer. I used a dab of hot glue to secure the washer in the piece of felt. This is our boot spur.
Pin the spur to the right side of your front boot piece with the washer on the inside of the fabric. I forgot to take a picture of this part, but I tried to construct a photo to show you.
7. Place boot pieces right sides together and stitch around side and bottom edges with a 1/4" seam allowance. Clip into the boot heel and along the curves being careful not to cut through the seam.
Turn inside out.
8. Cut out the boot sole from black felt and hot glue to the bottom of the boot stocking. I found some leather-textured felt at Hobby Lobby for $0.50 per sheet.
9. Cut out the hat piece from red felt, again the textured felt is from Hobby Lobby. Cut out the hat ribbon strips from white felt and hot glue to the cut-out red hat. Use the hat piece pattern and copy the dimension lines and handstitch over those with white embroidery thread and handstitch name if desired. Hot glue gold trim to the brim of the hat, tucking the ends of the trim behind the hat and securing with hot glue to keep ends from fraying. I forgot to take step-by-step pictures, but after all of that, you should have a hat like this:
Hot glue the finished hat to your stocking. Grab some more of the gold trim and hot glue it to the stocking to create a lasso to finish your Toy Story Christmas stocking.
There you have it! That's the hint for the theme of Round 4 - our final round of Season 1's "Crafting with the Stars".
Have you created something in the other rounds? Make sure you link-up below for Round 3: Fabric. Here's the link-up for Round 2: Paint, and Round 1: Brand Inspired/Knock-Offs. All linky parties are open until November 16th, then I'll be showcasing projects from each linky party the remainder of that week. Have fun!