Round 2 is Decoupage, so as I was pondering who to have as a guest blogger, my mind immediately thought of Amanda from Crafts by Amanda. We all remember her from Season 1, right? She faired very well in the competition, and blew me away with her amazing skills, just as I know she did to many of you as well. I'm so excited she agreed to be our Round 2: Decoupage guest blogger, because I am in LOVE with the project she chose - a Decoupaged Clock. It's ingenious and is going on my to-do list. I'm sure many of you will fall in love with it as well.
Hi everyone! My name is Amanda Formaro, I blog over at Crafts by Amanda. When Tam asked me to do a guest post for Crafting with the Stars there's no way I could refuse! I was a contestant in the first CWTS and it was such a great experience. Meeting everyone, contestants and stars alike, was such a pleasure, I can't tell you how much fun it was for me!
I was paired up with the fabulous Amy Anderson of Mod Podge Rocks. In round one we had to create a brand inspired knock off, so Amy and I came up with this fun French Fruit Wall Art. The challenge for round two was paint, so I came up with this Distressed Eat Sign, one of my favorite projects to date! I was lucky enough to make it to round three where I presented this Shabby Chic Decoupage Ladder.
When Tam said she was looking for a decoupage guest project I was excited. I wasn't sure what I was going to do at first, but one day it just hit me.
I've had this rooster clock for quite a few years. It was one of those clocks you buy on a gift website or in a gift shop. Nothing special, but it was cute. However, it really didn't fit in my decor anymore so I took it down from the wall and tucked it away in a cabinet in my craft room. Last week I had picked up a bunch of red toned paint chips from Wal-Mart. I knew I wanted to make something with them, I just hadn't decided what yet. Then one day it just hit me. The clock!
So I pulled out the clock, removed the mechanism and sanded down the face.
I laid out the paint chips across the front of the clock to make sure I had enough and that there would be enough to cover. I made sure to alternate the colors as well. I even changed them around a bit after taking this picture, positioning most of the dark colors toward the center. I was careful to keep them in the order that I wanted them as I laid them down on the work surface.
I really wanted to do something different. There's a lot of awesome paint chip art out there, and they are all awesome, but I wanted mine to be a bit more unique. So I pulled out the crackling medium and gave each paint chip a thin coat.
When the crackle medium dried I added a coat of Vintage White. The beauty of this is that you don't have to paint a base coat because the paint chips serve as the base coat! The crackle medium went to work and started "aging" the finish right away.
When the paint chips are dry, add a coat of acrylic matte finish spray sealer.
After the paint chip strips had dried for a while, I started in the middle of the clock and using some Mod Podge and a paintbrush attached them to the clock. I did not Mod Podge the top yet, just the side that attached to the clock.
NOTE: You can see where I accidentally removed some of the Vintage White. That was from me trying to smooth the paint chips down on to the Mod Podge. That's when I realized that I needed to add the spray sealer to the paint chips, to keep the crackled finish from peeling off. It worked out ok, made it look chippy where I made my oops :)
After attaching all the paint chips to the clock I let it dry a bit, then turned it over and used a box cutter to trim away the excess. I turned it face up again and trimmed away about an 1/8" or so from the edge.
It was looking pretty cool so far, but I thought it needed something else...
So I thinned some antiquing gel with water and applied it with an old rag. I rubbed it on gently then wiped it off. I repeated this step in a few areas until I was happy with the result. I wasn't completely sure how this would work since I had to add a coat of sealer to the chips earlier, but it worked like a charm.
I set the clock aside to dry for a while and went to work on the numbers. Unfortunately there's something wrong with my Silhouette machine or I would have just cut the numbers with that. But since I couldn't I just used a piece of scrapbook paper and printed reversed numbers on the back. They have to be reversed so that when you cut them out the colored side of the paper will have the numbers in the right direction.
After cutting out one of the numbers I realized that the numbers were blending with the clock colors rather than standing out. Easy fix! I pulled out the antiquing gel and used it to make the scrapbook paper darker. Paint on, wipe off.
It took a while to get all the numbers cut out!
I began by adding the numbers 3, 6, 9, and 12 with Mod Podge. I did add Mod Podge over the top of the numbers at this point.
Once all the numbers were in place, I gave the entire surface a good coat of Mod Podge.
When it was completely dry, I put the mechanism back on the clock and hung it on the wall! I'm happy with how it turned out and can't wait to see what all of you have in store this round. Good luck to all of you!
BEAUTIFUL! Amanda is always coming up with creative things just like that, so be sure to pop over Crafts by Amanda for even more great ideas. Thanks Amanda!