Monday, June 27, 2011

Shutters Headboard Out of Old Closet Doors

This is the last installment before I reveal the completed guest bedroom. The shutters headboard.
Finished-headboard
I first saw one of these when Kiki of Kiki Creates made one for Crafting with the Stars, then I saw another version by Michell of A Girl in the Air. I loved them both and knew I wanted one as well! Since then I’ve been keeping my eyes out for old shutters. A few months ago, I got lucky and found these bi-fold closet doors at my local thrift store. I was able to snag all four of them for $5.00 total!!! Woohoo!
Original-doors
I decided to go with one like Michell’s and bought the wood she recommended:
  • Two 8 ft 2x6 's for the frame
  • Two 8 ft 4x4's for the side posts
  • One 1x8 as top
  • Crown Molding
This involved several power tools (router, table saw, nail gun w/compressor, belt sander, miter saw), which I don’t own so I turned to my brother for help.

First we cut the doors in half since I only wanted the shutters part. I only needed 3 of the shutters for my full-size bed. This left us with 3 pieces about 18” x 48”. We took the two 2x6’s and used a router to cut grooves in them for the shutters to fit into. The only problem with this was my shutters were pretty thick ( 1 3/4”), so that only left about 1/8” on each side of the 2x6 and the wood blew out in spots.
Routed-grooves
That part above went on the bottom so it won’t be seen and then I used wood filler for the other parts. Since we ran into that problem, we used a different tactic for the posts. My brother drilled holes in the sides of the posts about 2” in, then took some long screws and went through those holes to drill them into the sides of the shutters. Then we took some wooden plugs and wood glue to fill the holes.
Once the glue dried, they simply sanded right down. My brother is a genius!
Wooden-plugs
From there we cut the posts down to size. Then the 1x8 and screwed and pinned it to the top. The last thing was putting the crown molding on and we had the finished headboard measuring about 61” wide x 54” tall.
Built-headboard
Then I went to work using wood filler for all the cracks and holes, then quite a bit of caulk over the whole thing where wood met wood. I may have gone overboard, but I really wanted it to hold and be “seamless” so to speak. After sanding and scrubbing it down, it was time for primer, paint, and poly.
Painted-tutorial
Then I finally got to set it up!!!!
Shutter-Headboard
I love how it turned out!! It’s always fun when what you envision actually happens!
Finished-headboard
So there you have it! The final piece of the room. Phew!

Stick around because tomorrow will be the guest bedroom reveal in it’s entirety!!! I’m so excited to show all of you!!!

6 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic project! Just love how you finished it!
    Nadia (With Glittering Eyes blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tam--the headboard looks great! I will be making one of these someday soon (with antique doors) framing around them will really help me. Thanks for the inspiration!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! great job!! Now I know what to do with some of the old closet doors I replaced in our house!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    I am your newest follower! I hope you will swing by to visit my blog sometime!
    I am looking forward to following you!!
    ~~~rhonda~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Tam!! Your room looks more and more like something out of a magazine! I love your framed shutter headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room look better....like how you finished it.


    window shutters clayton, ca

    ReplyDelete

Where I am no longer blogging, this blog is for reading purposes only. I am afraid I just can't keep up with it anymore, therefore, I may not be able to reply to all comments. Thank you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails