Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ryker’s Nursery: Part 1 {Walls}

I have to tell you guys that I LOVE my little guy’s nursery. It was so fun to put together. It’s pretty bold for me, and a year ago I probably would never have done the color scheme that I did, but I’m so glad I went for it.

I’m going to break it down into several posts. Let’s start with the walls. The room was my girls’ room and was painted lavender. That's not exactly the color I wanted for a baby boy. I had picked out my fabric, so I asked all of you for your ideas on what color to paint.

Remember how my husband wanted the “Faint Maple”? Most of you suggested a Burnt Orange. As soon as I saw that suggestion, the entire room started coming together in my mind and I thought “Yes! This is what I want - orange and tan.” So then I had the dilemma of how to do both colors. I didn’t want to do stripes or a border.

Solution: a chair rail. At this point, my husband was tired of our home improvements so he wasn’t on board for this idea. So I decided I would do it.

And I did. Do you want to see it?
Surprisingly, the chair rail was more simple than I thought.
Here’s how I did it.

1. Bought my chair rail from Jenson Lumber in Draper, Utah. WAY cheaper than Home Depot or Lowe’s. I got unfinished pine for $0.69/ft. I could have purchased primed MDF for $0.45/ft, but I wanted wood. They ordered it from their supplier and got it in that same day. They were sold in 16-foot boards, which wouldn’t fit in my SUV, but that wasn’t a problem, because they cut the boards down for me.

2. Primed the chair rail. If you purchased pre-primed MDF or wood, this step isn’t necessary.

3. Borrowed a miter saw and pin gun w/compressor. I measured the walls and used the miter saw to cut my boards to the exact measurement of the walls, with the ends being 45-degrees so they fit into the corners.Then using the pin gun and compressor, nailed the chair rail to my wall.

4. Took some painter’s putty and filled in all the pin holes. Once that was dry, I sanded those spots so they were smooth. Then got some caulk and used my caulk gun to put it on both the top and bottom of the chair rail to seal it to the wall. I would squirt about a foot or two of caulk, then take a damp rag and smooth it out while also wiping away the excess. Technically, I should have put the chair rail up before we painted the walls for a better-looking finish. See how you can see a little caulk? But at least it’s held to the wall and any gaps are filled in.
5. Last I taped everything off and painted it. The entire process only took a few hours and I love the finished look it gives the room.
So don’t be afraid to try something new. Go for it. What’s the worst that could happen? It’s probably easier than you thought and you just might love the results.

Now that we have the walls done, stick around for Part 2 tomorrow. Have a great day!


  1. Yes, love it!! I did something similar for my daughter.
    Fun rooms are so great for the kids!

  2. Good for you!!! Way to do it yourself! Love it!!!

  3. Wow! That is definitely bold, but it looks awesome! The white chair rail really helps to break it up and the gray is very grounding. Can't wait to see the rest of the room!

  4. Wow. I'm seriously impressed that you did all that by yourself! I don't even know what some of the things you used are, much less how to use them!

  5. I love it! I want to know what your hubby said!!! I do all that kind of thing myself, too and my hubby just rolls his eyes now. lol But I'm sure he's glad that he didn't have to do it!


Where I am no longer blogging, this blog is for reading purposes only. I am afraid I just can't keep up with it anymore, therefore, I may not be able to reply to all comments. Thank you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails