At the beginning of this year we did some remodeling. I haven’t really shown you guys any of those pictures because the decorating isn’t done yet. I’ve shared some of what’s going on like THIS:
and THIS when I was up there painting while 6 months pregnant.
Before remodeling started, we had a wall that looked like this in our family room.
I painted those stripes almost 6 years ago and posted a tutorial almost 1.5 years ago HERE.
We wanted to close that front room and make it an office, so took the wall to the ceiling. I didn’t want to try to match the stripes on the new part of the wall, and I was kind of sick of them anyway, so I SANDED and SANDED and SANDED and SANDED. After 10 hours of sanding, those stripes were gone and my husband primed and painted.
Suddenly I had this massive wall without any windows or doors to break it up. This worked out well because it was the perfect spot for this shelf I’ve been wanting for the longest time (thanks to Cheri of I am Momma – Hear Me Roar).
My dad came up over Easter weekend and put it up for me. He and my brother mounted a 2x4 to the wall, then screwed the shelf to the 2x4. That shelf isn’t going anywhere!
Since then, Cheri has posted a tutorial on how she mounted hers. I was very relieved to see we did it the same way.
Here’s how it all came together:
- Corbels from Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off.
I painted mine just like Cheri did hers.
- Autumn Shutter with barnyard star (I swapped out the fall foliage though).
- Bike from Hobby Lobby (again at 50% off). Things are always 50% off at Hobby Lobby. If they aren’t when you go, check again the next week. Why pay full price when you don’t have to?
- Giant “B” initial. This was another idea from Cheri. Original from Joanns (50% off coupon). It’s just cardboard.
Add some spraypaint.
- Jars from Hobby Lobby (50% off – are you sensing a pattern here?) I added brown vinyl to the jars that I cut out with my Silhouette.
- Frames from Hobby Lobby (you guessed it – 50% off). Spraypainted and glazed.
- I bought the skeleton keys on Amazon last year sometime.
- My DIY Collage Frame.
The whole thing adds so much warmth and character to our family room.
I really have to thank Cheri for her beautiful inspiration. That’s what I love about blogging. I get to benefit from someone else’s creative genius. Thanks Cheri!!!