Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Window Treatment for Odd-Shaped Windows

This post has been a long time coming. As in many of you asked for it 5 months ago when I posted about Ryker’s nursery – the window treatment, specifically the fabric covering the odd-shaped part of the window.
Window-treatment
I would have posted it all those months ago, but you see the window treatment isn’t done yet. I still need to add blackout drapes like I did in my other son’s room.
However, life just hasn’t been in my control lately and the drapes haven’t been a top priority, so they still aren’t done.

So why post now you ask? Well over the last couple of weeks, I’ve received about a dozen more emails asking me how I did that fabric up in that window, so I figured I better just buck up and write this post with the window as it is.

DISCLAIMER: When I first made this fabric covering, it was with pink gingham for my girls’ room about 3 years ago. Back when I had no idea about things like seam allowances and just knew how to thread my sewing machine and press down on the pedal to make the machine stitch.

Fast forward to summer of 2010. The girls moved out of this room and it was becoming the nursery for my son. The pink gingham had to go, but I wanted to reuse the velcro and blackout fabric (because I’m cheap frugal like that).

Wait….velcro and blackout fabric??? Ok, now let’s explain the tutorial.

STEP ONE: I got a piece of butcher paper (any large piece of paper will do), and traced the shape of my window. Then I cut the piece out to use as my pattern piece.

STEP TWO: Pin the pattern piece to your desired fabric and some blackout fabric, then cut 1/2” around the pattern piece of both fabrics. (Remember how I didn’t know about seam allowances in 2009? I didn’t allow the extra 1/2” and just cut the fabric out the exact same size as my butcher paper pattern piece, which is why it doesn’t fit exactly in the window.)
Fabric-in-odd-shaped-window
STEP THREE: Get some adhesive velcro and stick one of the sides to the window frame. I chose the soft side of the velcro. I’m not sure why, but that’s what I did. Place your pieces all around the window frame. I used about 14 pieces for my window.
Velcro-on-window-frame
STEP FOUR: If you are smarter than Tam of 2009 you will NOT use the other side of the adhesive velcro, but will get some regular velcro for this next part. However, Tam of 2009 was very new to DIY stuff and she used the adhesive stuff for this next part. Sew the other side of the velcro pieces (mine were the rough sides now) to the blackout fabric, making sure they line up with all the pieces on the window frame.
Velcro-on-fabric
Don’t pay attention to the brown fabric and topstitching. I’m trying to do this tutorial post-project done. Your fabric and blackout fabric should not be sewn together yet. Also don’t pay attention to all the yucky yellow parts around the velcro where the sun discolored my blackout fabric over the past 3 years where the glue was (another reason not to use the adhesive velcro on the fabric).

If you used the adhesive velcro like I did, you have now just gunked up your sewing machine with glue. See….not too smart of me, huh?
And if you are thinking, why even sew the velcro if it’s adhesive?
Because the blackout fabric and fabric will be too heavy for the velcro to hold on it’s own and your velcro will come off the fabric and the fabric will fall down. (Do I know this from experience?…yes I do).

STEP FIVE: Sew the blackout fabric and your fabric RST (right sides together), using a 1/2” seam allowance. This will be the side with the velcro on it for the blackout fabric. Leave about a 6-10” opening in the bottom. Clip the corners, being sure not to cut through the stitching,  and turn the entire thing inside out through the opening. Iron the entire piece flat, then topstitch around the whole thing with a 1/4” seam. This will close up the opening and keep the two fabrics together better.

STEP SIX: Hang it up in your window!
Fabric-in-odd-shaped-window
This is what it looks like from the outside.
Outside-view
Doesn’t look too bad, if you ask me. Much better than tinfoil anyway, and so much better spending a fortune on a custom-made blind, right?
Window-treatment
Now that sun won’t be glaring through the window every morning right in my baby’s eyes!

I hope that helps all of you guys out that were wondering about this! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tam

6 comments:

  1. ah so smart! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We just moved this month and I've been racking my brain on what to do. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this to our master bedroom. The arched window is very pretty, but it really is a pain in an east facing house.
    I was going to just tape up some poster board, but your idea is much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing for this post!!! Thank you. Working on the nursery now, which includes one of these weird windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! This is so great - can't wait to do this in my house...just need to decide if I should do the girls' room or mine first! Thanks for the heads-up on my blog too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's SO smart! I tried to do something like this for my kids' room, but I put cardboard in it (because I didn't think of blackout fabric!) and the velcro could NOT handle that weight and I didn't have a better solution. So now I have GIANT curtains that start almost at the ceiling and they drive me a little nuts! This is the perfect solution! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Where I am no longer blogging, this blog is for reading purposes only. I am afraid I just can't keep up with it anymore, therefore, I may not be able to reply to all comments. Thank you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails