One of the questions I get emails about probably 2-3 times/week is “What kind of sewing machine do you have or what kind of sewing machine do you recommend buying?”
So I thought it would be a good idea to discuss sewing machines today.
Then we can always have this post to reference if anyone wants to research sewing machines before buying.
1. What kind of machine do you have and about how much does it cost?
2. What do you like about it?
3. What do you dislike about it (if anything)?
I’ll go first.
My parents bought it for me at Wal-Mart as a Christmas gift over 12 years ago. It was probably around $100.
I didn’t sew at the time. If you want to know how I got into sewing, you can read up on my story HERE.
I pretty much used it to sew things like throw pillows and other straight-line stitching projects.
It’s a very basic machine. It gets me by. I like that it was inexpensive.
Now for what I don’t like about it…
- It can’t do buttonholes. It’s supposed to, but it doesn’t.
- It doesn’t do any of the other stitches besides straight and zig-zag. Again, it is supposed to, but it doesn’t. I’ve tried the blindstitch and blanketstitch and neither work.
- It comes unthread very easily when you start sewing. This makes me grit my teeth more than anything!
- There isn’t much variety with stitchlengths. I usually sew about 2.5-3 and it only goes up to 4, so this can make things like gathering/basting a little difficult.
- The universal ruffle foot I bought doesn’t fit it.
Those are the most prominent things I can think of. So you’re probably wondering why I use it. Like I said, it gets me by. The only reason I notice some of those things is because I have become a more experienced seamstress. Again, it’s a very basic machine and it works great for almost every thing. For other things, I have fabulous neighbors and/or family members that I can borrow their machine. Maybe one day if I can get Bernina to sponsor me or something, I’ll get a new one.
So now it’s your turn. Even if you have never commented before, will you please take a quick second and tell us about your machine if you have one?
Thanks everyone!!! Happy sewing!